Re: [News] Multi-Million Linux Deal with Linux Vendor

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 23:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
> <spam@xxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:38:10 +0100
> <2mvfo3-1v8.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:02:08

>>> Whoever wrote the quote should try ¥105-million, character
>>> U+00A5. ;-) Makes a *lot* more sense, unless one wants to
>>> contemplate square and cube dollars.
>>
>> He'd also need to add something like:

My news reader actually struggles with this symbol. Euro sign is no
exception, which is why I sometimes change it before posting. More oddly,
under KNode 0.7.5, type compatibility differs between compose mode and
viewing mode.

> Crap.  I knew I forgot something. :-)  The character actually
> vanished in SLRN, along with the rest of the line.
>
> *grumble grumble mumble grumble*

Vanishing is probably worse. In my case, I see a coarse symbol that resembles
the real thing, but truly stands out because it's ugly.

>> To the head of the page, otherwise it just shows up as junk. The
>> Webmaster seems more interested in advertising scripts than standards
>> compliance, however.

So I hear. Maybe you can set up more defences. I never perceived that site
(or network of Web sites) as one which is too obtrusive. Then again, I
(over-)kill some genuine content, too. It's a trade-off; like with SPAM.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it collapses" --Windows TCP
Swap:  1036184k total,   702284k used,   333900k free,    65136k cached