(Rant) Implications of Choosing Microsoft Exchange for E-mail

Just received the following message:

,----[ Quote ]
| Subject: Mail Server shut down for 30 minutes after 5:00 PM
| today. (12/07/06)
|
| Dear All
|
| Mail server will not be available for half an hour after 5:00PM today. I
| need to shut it down and than restart the server. If you have any
| objection, please do inform me. I will try to delay it.
`----

This is an exchange server, to which the Division migrated some time ago. It
has been disasterous since day one. It caught a virus earlier this year
(that which also corrputed the AV software) and, if aggregated, it has had
many /days/ of downtime and enormous amount of staff's time wasted (not to
mention acquition costs). I imagine that this downtime is due to the latest
patches, which imply that the server can _at present_ be hijacked using
/known/ vulnerabilities (many more are certain to be discovered before/after
future exploitations).

Either way, I am relieved that I fully escaped my academic E-mail account 2
years ago. It's all part of a continuing blunder, which sometimes leaves me
amused (or even angry because it's our budget that pays for it).

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/01/09/exchange-servers-failure/