Re: Unix hacked and re-hacked

  • Subject: Re: Unix hacked and re-hacked
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:18:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ William Poaster ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 13:09 \__

> It was on Wednesday 12 July 2006 12:53 pm, that Linonut apparently said:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, OK belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/11/state.hackers.ap/index.html
>>
>> Don't see anything about UNIX or Linux there.  You have insider info?
>
> You won't, they don't use *nix OSs. Here's a news item from 3 years ago
> showing what they DO use (& it's unlikely they've changed):-
> "Virus strikes State Department"
> http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5081360.html

True. This goes back to 2003. Also notice:

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/07/233257

Department of Defence is on proprietary platforms and plans a migration to
Open Source. 77-page PDF therein. I tried to find some clues by having a
cursory look at this PDF (which looks unprofessional, almost as though it
was generated using crapware, e.g. MS Office), but nothing fruitful.