Re: [News] Windows 98: Microsoft Shoots Own Foot, Linux to Gain

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows 98: Microsoft Shoots Own Foot, Linux to Gain
  • From: Jim Richardson <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:12:52 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:59:09 -0500,
 Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:08:30 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Is Shooting Itself In The Foot, Again
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I think that Microsoft has grown arrogant and greedy enough to ignore
>>| the fact that there are many PC users that still run Windows 98 and
>>| Windows ME. With security updates and patches ceasing to appear for the
>>| Windows 9x clone the left-behind users might be compelled to switch to
>>| Linux (in fact this very realization prompted Microsoft to extend the
>>| support for Windows 98 and ME from the original cut-off date of
>>| January 2004).
>> `----
>>
>> http://techsearch.cmp.com/blog/archives/2006/07/microsoft_is_sh.html?loc=software_and_web_development
>
> So, when was the last time a patch was released for Red Hat 4?  Suse 3?
> Mandrake 5?
>
> Windows 98 is 8 years old.  No linux vendor is still supporting systems
> they sold that long ago.

I have several debian boxes that have the same install from 6+ years
ago, course they've been upgraded since then, at no cost to me.

If you want to compare Linux and MS-Windows in this area, you're going
to have to do a lot better than that.

One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null
word.
        -- Lazarus Long