Re: [News] Seagate Delivers Linux-based Storage Unit

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Tuesday 11 July 2006 22:43 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Dual-drive NAS server runs Linux, supports DLNA
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Seagate is shipping a Linux-based network-attached storage device
>> | claimed capable of providing data security to homes or small offices.
>> | The Maxtor Shared Storage II is a dual-drive appliance with gigabit
>> | Ethernet, two USB ports, a capacity of 1,000GB, and DLNA-compliant
>> | media server software from Mediabolic.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4359257922.html
>
> Why only two drives? Why not support 4 or maybe 8?? I never understood why
> they cap off at dual/two drives per appliance...

Well, I have a Seagate storage unit, but it's also a single (probably more of
a home solution, no RAID). From an economic point-of-view, it would indeed
be wiser to share components and embed more space in a given unit (are they
using vertical, volumetic storage yet? I think it was Hitachi...). The loss
is in flexibility and mobility, as far as I can tell. Another factor comes
to mind. Vendors can still overcharge for such units because they are
cutting-edge. If I recall correctly from reading on The Register, the cost
of terabyte storage is $800-900. So anything apart from the core of the
drive is quite negligible in terms of its role and contribution to the
overall cost. To borrow a related example, I often ask myself why some
sweets come with more wrapping paper or aluminium than the actual substance
(food).