Re: [News] Software Patents Enforcement Still Oppressed in Europe

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:29:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Free Software Advocates Gear Up for EU Patent Policy Battle
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "This is an even bigger battle than the last one," Mueller told
>| LinuxInsider. "The software patent directive would have made software
>| patents more enforceable in Europe, and that would have been bad enough,
>| but the EPLA would effectively result in more enforceable software patents
>| and encourage patent litigation in Europe."
> `----
>
>                         http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/51689.html

One thing that many people on the "Free" side of things seem to forget is
the age old saying "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger".  If
you are fighting a persistent enemy, and they simply will not go away.
Each battle will simply make them stronger and more persistent, until
eventually, they find a way to get what they want... and that may be far
worse than the original thing you fought against.

A good example is the Bar association.  Lawyers, years ago saw serious
regulations and strict enforcement issues, but they banded together to
self-police themselves to head off such things.  This was an attempt to
live with some small restriction, rather than have even tougher ones forced
upon them.