Re: Try doing this with Windows

  • Subject: Re: Try doing this with Windows
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:12:58 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>
>> [snips]
>>
>> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:19:18 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> You cannot /legally/ do this with Windows. The licence
>>> are sold per motherboard,
>>
>> Isn't that for OEM versions of Windows?  Like, say, OEM
>> versions of CD burning software which are tied to the
>> specific device, but full versions are usable with any
>> burner?
>>
>> Or are they really now saying that it's every version of
>> Windows, and a simple hardware upgrade requires I
>> completely relicense my retail boxed set XP?
>
> All I know (from memory) is that Microsoft now perceives
> the motherboard as the 'heart' of the computer. It
> explicitly said that you cannot 'plant' a new motherboard
> in a given box and still retain the same licence, even if
> the board is connected to to the same hard-drive,
> peripherals, etc.
>
> The idea of hauling some memory over, _as well as_
> potential issues with a fried (faulty) CPU makes some of
> these rules rather ludicrous. It's almost as bad as WGA on
> the software-front. WGA is intended to check that the state
> of underlying hardware is unchanged. It's the equivalent of
> a full rectal cavity examination.

Not quite true, for OEM version it is.  OEM is married to
motherboard.  Only time you can change motherboard is if it
is defective, but repair part must be same make and model or
OEM designated replacement model.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

has an explanation on OEM version.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=wiki&tag=Windows_XP
_Licensing

or http://tinyurl.com/hkwrp

has a recap on the different versions.

It is good to know the different ground rules for versions.
Systems with OEM version installed make good targets for 2nd
life with Linux.  Once owner wants to upgrade motherboard,
must either buy a new XP license or buy a new system with XP
installed.  Owner most likely will relinquish old system with
new replacement, when faced with such cost.

Linux makes hardware perfectly legal, benefitting all.  Hip
hip for Ernie Ball!

--
HPT