Re: Re-thinking the Windows Refund

  • Subject: Re: Re-thinking the Windows Refund
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:27:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 28 July 2006 19:03 \__

> Jim wrote:
>> flatfish+++ wrote:

>> > The king (Roy) has spoken!

>> > Responding to Rex, the problem with your approach is that the pc
>> > manufacturers don't guarantee their PC's will run Linux so you don't
>> > have a leg to stand on.
>
> Actually, my son had a problem getting Linux installed, and told them
> that the machine was unacceptable.  Under U.S. federal law, if you
> receive goods via mail, you have up to 3 days to return them for a full
> refund.
>
> In his case, he called Gateway, told them he hated their computer
> because it wouldn't run Linux, and wanted to return or upgrade it.
> Gateway reluctantly told him which computer WOULD run Linux, and
> offered to make the exchange for about 20% more than he had originally
> paid for his machine.
>
> The new machine ran Linux perfectly.

This begs for the question. Why weren't all of their machine
Linux-ready/friendly.  One could argue that it's a matter of
production  costs  (e.g. Linux-hostile hardware  is  somehow
made  cheaper). One could step further and ask if  Microsoft
incentive  would  have  it  subsidise  the  production  and
distribution of Linux-hostile hardware such as Winmodems.

> I've heard that IBM and Dell will also help users select machines which
> are Linux friendly.
> You can't get these machine without Windows, (something about
> agreements with Microsoft...yada-yada-yada...), however you can get the
> machines that have been configured to be Linux compatible, and you can
> get installation media which can be used to install Windows as a Linux
> client if you'd like.

In  principle,  I am against the purchasing of  any  machine
which  comes installed with software you are not  interested
in.  By  paying for that Windows licence (as in this  case),
you  incidentally  show interest in that O/S, regardless  of
the way it all ends up. It is then that you have people like
David   Furguson   struggling  to  convince   the   European
Commission  that  people  are truthfully not  interested  in
Windows  and  don't  require prebundling of that  POS.  This
leads to a cycle trap and you play into Microsoft's hands by
purchasing computers from such vendors with yada-yada-yada.

>> > Even if they do take it back, chances are you will be charged either a
>> > restocking fee, or shipping back so it's YOU who will really lose.
>
>> nope. Statutory rights stipulate that goods sold must be fit for purpose,
>> otherwise a FULL refund is due, as long as the claim is made within 7
>> days.
>
> Different states have different laws, but in general this is correct.
> If within a specified time, (3 days is almost always safe), you find
> the product to be unsatisfactory, you have the right to return it.
>
>> I'm still waiting for my Windows refunds.
>> That POS isn't fit for anything.
>
> There are three problems with that.  First, Windows is copyrighted
> software sold to the OEM under a license which includes certain
> conditions.  The OEM can't give you a refund because the license
> agreement prevents this.  You can't get a refund from Microsoft because
> you didn't buy it from Microsoft.   If you purchased Windows from a
> retailer, at full price, you could return it if you had not broken the
> seal.  On the other hand, the license explicitly states that the
> software is not good for anything, and you agree to this.
>
> You also agree to let Microsoft access (read AND write) any file or
> registry entry on your computer (actually, any information, regardless
> of how or where it is stored), to do with as they see fit.
>
> You agree not to sue Microsoft, no matter how badly they trash your
> computer.
>
> You agree not to publish benchmarks, without Microsoft's prior written
> permission.

I am yet to find where it subtly says that in the EULA.

> You agree not to reverse engineer any of the software, even if the
> software is actually BSD code or NCSA code.
>
> There's a lot of other stuff you agree to, but you need a Microsoft
> lawyer to actually find out what it is.

How about this intuitive-to-read interpretation?

,----[ Snipptets ]

`----

                http://linuxadvocate.org/articles.php?p=1

> Most of what you THINK you are accepting, is only the way you'd LIKE to
> read it.  What it REALLY means is up to Microsoft's lawyers to
> interpret.
>
>> --
>> When all else fails...
>> Use a hammer.
>
> When that fails, get a bigger hammer :D

Or have Ballmer sling a chair.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
Cpu(s):  17.9% user,   2.7% system,   0.6% nice,  78.9% idle