Re: [News] Xubuntu, Xandros, and PCLinuxOS "Just Work"

  • Subject: Re: [News] Xubuntu, Xandros, and PCLinuxOS "Just Work"
  • From: yttrx@xxxxxxxxx (yttrx)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:27:30 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flatfish <flatfish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:54:56 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Beginners and Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | About two weeks ago now I went entirely Windows-less and now have
>> | three machines running on various incarnations of Linux. The HP
>> | Pavillion ze4900 laptop that I am writing this on is running PCLinuxOS
>> | 0.92, there is a five year old Compaq 5000 desktop that is running
>> | Xandros Premium version 4, and a less than a year old Compaq SR1475CL
>> | desktop running Xubuntu.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | CONCLUSIONS
>> |
>> | Any of these three Linux distributions will work well for you...
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.technudgelive.com/forum/?p=71
>

> Well I will vouch for PCLinuxOS *just working* because that has been my
> personal experience with it.
> People I know who have used it say the same thing.
> I haven't used the other two.

I can tell you that Xandros is a waste of money for anyone with even a small
amount of linux experience--though it is nicely polished.

Ubuntu (v. 6.0.6) is solid, stable, and exceedingly easy to use.  I
stand that there are those who want their operating system to make them
coffee and blow them under their desk--and if that's you, then Ubuntu
isn't for you.  However, if you have some debian (or derivative)
experience and are hip to its logic and layout, you may find yourself
very pleasantly surprised as I was.

-----yttrx