Re: [News] Open Source = More Eyes, More Feedback, More Crawlers/Analyzers

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 19:31 \__
>

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Bugle Goes Googling for Source Code Flaws
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>>                http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1994003,00.asp
>>>
>>> Another merit of OSS... think of all the /automated/ peer review.
>>> malicious
>>> use has been possible for quite some time (download then scan), but here's
>>> benevolent brute-force approach.
>>>
>>> There are some speculations that Google new service (to be unveiled on
>>> Thursday) will resemble SourceForge.
>>
>>     This is a great idea. You know those programs that you can run while
>> your computer is idle to search for extra terrestial life, or crunch prime
>> numbers? How about a program which crunches through open source software,
>> detecting bugs and vulnerabilities? Then everyone in the world can
>> contribute to OSS, regardless of programming skill level, just by donating
>> some of their spare CPU cycles.
>
> There  is  something else which is beneficial the  humanity:
> the World Community Grid (worldcommunitygrid.org).
>
> There  are more such projects that help science, but I can't
> recall   their   names.   Some   are   just   solving   some
> highly-complex  mathematical  problems,  but  primarily  for
> admiration  rather than real benefit. I think that the human
> genome   and  DNA  sequencing  projects  also  had   clients
> (multiple  platform  s and Open Source)  released  recently.
> Another  project  I can think of is Majestic 12, which is  a
> search  engines that crawls and indexed pages using people's
> idle  time  and  bandwidth allowance (if any),  as  well  as
> capacity.

I still have a very cloudy vision of a super super computing cluster
spanning the globe, and including everything which can offer any
processing cycles at all...  it's very SF, I know, but it also strikes
me that on a planet with sharply limited resources, we will need to find
better methods of sharing what's available than the present approach
(that being based on who has the biggest guns).

The best way to make a fire with two sticks is to make sure one of them
is a match.
		-- Will Rogers