Re: MS to pay out in California

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 27 July 2006 16:48 \__

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsarticle.aspx?type=ousiv&storyID=2006-07-26T192959Z_01_N26353839_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESSPRO-MICROSOFT-SETTLEMENT-DC.XML&WTmodLoc=Home-C4-Business-ousiv-8

>>> Each Cali consumer will get a $10 certificate good towards the purchase
>>> of MS Vista whenever it finally arrives?
>>
>> ,----[ From the article ]
>>| Beginning in August, Californians who have filed claims will
>>| receive vouchers that can be redeemed for cash during the next
>>| four years, said Richard Grossman, whose law firm represented
>>| plaintiffs in the class-action case.
>> `----
>>
>> That's just insulting. No wonder the States is among the slowest to adopt
>> OSS and Linux. How can this be permitted? It's barely even a punishment.
>> Licences cost nothing to issue.
>>

> This is just corruption.  I don't know how anyone could have any
> confidence in a judicial system which would permit this - it's totally
> incredible.  Basically, Microsoft won.

You would have thought that the accused monopolist should be
replaced  by  a benevolent company such as Novell,  but  no!
It's  more of the same because the remedies can only be used
in  one way. This was discussed before. Most States fall for
this  scam.  I believe there is only one state which  is  an
exception.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
Tasks: 131 total,   1 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie