Re: [News] More on Mac-to-Linux Defections

  • Subject: Re: [News] More on Mac-to-Linux Defections
  • From: Donn Miller <hackr_d@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:21:32 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flatfish+++ wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:58:52 -0400, Donn Miller wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Why I ditched my Mac for Linux
Why ditch anything for Linux? Why not use it in conjunction with Linux? For example, Linux had been running on Mac/ppc for like eons now, so I feel there are plenty of people dual-booting MacOS-Linux. I still want to check out Darwin a little. It has me curious, as it features the Mach kernel running in conjunction with BSD.

That's because you, Donn are reasonable. Most people are reasonable.

COLA nuts, for the most part, are NOT reasonable.
It's Linux and open source or nothing for some of these jokers.

Some will accept things like BSD and even to a small extent OSX, but it's
really a front they are putting up by pretending to accept those operating
systems.

After all, in their warped little minds, ANYTHING has to be better than
Windows and they need all the support they can get in their war against
Microsoft so they don't want to alienate anyone from the other non Windows
groups.

Well, BSD people can be like that too, as well as Mac people. Recently most Linux people have been pretty reasonable here. I was always pretty reasonable until I would get "triggered" into a fit of rage by something like Charlie or Bailo posted here. Oh yeah, and BSD still doesn't have a journalling filesystem yet. ;-) Well, FreeBSD has been able to read ReiserFS r/o for quite some time. It'd be very interesting to see if it's a matter of time until they get the writing part working. But in the past, writing to an ext2 filesystem from BSD did result in some occasional nasty filesystem damage. But I think that's more of the developers not having enough resources to commit to maintaining the ext2 fs coide.