Re: [News] Nigeria Embraces OLPC by Purchaing One Million Linux Laptops

__/ [ Kier ] on Wednesday 26 July 2006 15:17 \__

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:34:35 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 18:06 \__

>>> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1237594850&rid=-50

>>> *LOL* But have you heard about the pricing? IIRC, it was a laughable $300
>>> for something that wasn't much better at all. If you think of Nigerian
>>> SPAM, think of the power of 1 million Windows zombies in a single
>>> country, interconnected using Wi-Fi.
>>
>> Umm, far to pricey, I think...
>>
>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>>                         http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302
>>>

>> Bill Gates was from a very privileged background, so probably thinks
>> this is funny.  Some people are from very humble backgrounds, and will
>> likely merely find this highly insulting.  It should do wonders for MS
>> sales...
>
> I wonder where he supposes the power to run this 'decent computer' he's
> on about is going to come, in a place without electricity?
>
> The wind-up radio has proved very popular and useful, the $100 laptop
> should be equally well-recieved.

It's sour grapes for Billy Boy. He grew up in a 6-bedroom house, son of a
successful and wide-known lawyer, as well as a grandson of a State Senator
(IIRC). His vanity showed its typically-concealed-behind-sweater face. That
interview will not be forgotten any time soon. He actually pulled out a
PDA/tablet in that interview, suggesting that his little businessman gadget
would suit the third world.

                "Let them have cake"

                                        --Marie Antionette

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://en.opensuse.org >
roy      pts/8                         Tue Jul 25 18:48 - 18:54  (00:06)