Re: Microsoft releases preview of new Microsoft.com site, disappointing error page for Firefox users

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft releases preview of new Microsoft.com site, disappointing error page for Firefox users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:29:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 25 July 2006 22:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on 25 Jul 2006 09:33:12 -0700
> <1153845192.231891.227190@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Quote:
>> ------------
>> Is it really too much to ask for a friendly (or not-so-friendly)
>> message saying that the site erupts for the blazing, orbicular cousin
>> of the dingo?
>> ----------
>> End quote
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/7/24/4750
>>

> Well, personally, I'm not having any troubles bringing it up in Firefox.
> Not that this page looks any different from the previous one.  In fact,
> the page looks identical to the previous one as the preview just jumps
> right back to the mainpage!
>
> Hello, Brain?  This is Eyeball.  I'm about to send you a headache....
> :-)
>
> It turns out my IE6 does *not* redirect so someone's being *real* funny
> here...har de har har, Microsoft.

How long has it been since Microsoft's 12 tenets? Maybe 5?

> Interestingly, xml:lang="en-gb" (for an American corporation??) and a
> wget is showing a difference.  The new page is also XHTML.
>
> And of course Microsoft wants to put the menu in the right place...which
> is, according to the author, the wrong place.

I can assure you (without looking) that not only will the page fail to
validate, but also that it will break many rules in any CSS textbook and
incorporate (X)'HTML' that does not even exist. I can see it in E-mails sent
from Microsoft Outlook. Vile stuff. Firefox was actually implemented to
support some of that made-up 'HTML'. But why /should/ it?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Those who can, Open-Source
Mem:    514480k total,   476472k used,    38008k free,     6024k buffers