Re: [News] Indiana High Schools Deploy 24,000 Linux Desktops, Plan Increase to 170,000

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 06:18 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The biggest deployment of desktop Linux in K-12 schools in the US is
> | taking place in Indiana. They?ve got 24,000 Linux desktops currently
> | deployed in Indiana high school English classrooms, with plans to
> | increase that to 170,000 in a year. What has been exasperating for me
> | is that this project has been undertaken very quietly, with little
> | publicity or communication with the rest of the K-12 open source
> | community.
> `----
>
>                 http://tuttlesvc.teacherhosting.com/wordpress/?p=148

It's good to know it's going well, Roy.  It's a bit like Munich - a long
time since I saw an update:-)
However, it's not been "hidden".  There was quite a spate on it last Autumn
(fall), and we talked about it in this group.  One thing that I seem to
remember was the way that they bought in new desks, with a glass top, and
the monitor underneath - a neat solution to the "computer on every desk"
objective, and meaning that all the kids can still write, use conventional
books etc. in the same desk space, *and* see and be seen by teacher:-)

Also, I fancy that Indiana is not the richest state in the U.S., so that
every dollar counts?  They were using quite cheap run-of-the-mill H/W.

Good to see.  Thanks for the link.