Re: Software Market Takes GNU/Linux Seriously

__/ [ Kier ] on Monday 24 July 2006 20:33 \__

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:39:53 -0700, billwg wrote:
>

>> "Except for computer hobbyists, Linux has no presence in the consumer
>> market."
>
> Interesting little snippet I came across yesterday: My Sunday paper, the
> Sunday Times has a small computer/internet section. Someone  in the
> letters column was complaining about this new spyware thing of MS's, where
> the OS phones home every time you boot, just to make sure you haven't
> sneaked a dodgy copy onto your PC. The recommendation of the resident
> expert was, basically, switch to Linux if you want to avoid being bothered
> by such nonsense.
>
> The Sunday Times is a fairly conservative national newspaper.

Linux is a fairly conservative operating system. An accusive (or some would
even say totalitarian and oppressive) operating system is Microsoft Windows.
With a monopoly comes dangerous vanity, or even patronisation.