Re: 3D Desktop

__/ [ Scott W ] on Monday 24 July 2006 18:35 \__

> Roy Schestowitz said:
>> 'Flip  mode' in Windows Vista is just one among the examples
>> of  eye  candy  which leads to poorer productivity.  How  is
>> someone  supposed  to  see the processes when  one  conceals
>> another  in  that stack of windows? Besides, XGL has a  nice
>> switcher  that  even  animates the windows  where  there  is
>> motion  (e.g. video). Kasbar (going back ages ago)  provides
>> windows  previews  and  there is also  the  window  switcher
>> wherein  windows  are  all  shrunk  and  spread  across  the
>> workspace  for user selection. Speaking of 'flip mode', such
>> ideas  go  a  long, long way back [1]. Linux roots?  Not  to
>> mention Sun's Looking Glass [2].
>
> cool. i'll definitely be looking into getting xgl when it's in beta then
> :) eyecandy might reduce productivity, but it does impress people when
> you're advocating linux to them :D

I  work in a physical environment where it's rare for people
to  glance  over my monitors. I suppose XGL, much  like  the
existing  eye  candy in KDE, is somewhat of a  'magic  show'
(see  a magician trying to impress him/herself with the same
old tricks), even a repertoire that you can use when a guest
comes  over.  Beyond this, you soon discover  that  anything
that  does  not help becomes a distraction. It can  take  an
hour, or a day, or a week to bore. I can still argue that my
wallpaper  serves  an  actual purpose. It reminds  me  which
virtual desktop I'm on.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S