Re: Knode won't fetch all available articles

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Rikishi 42 ] on Sunday 23 July 2006 22:08 \__
>
>> I'm using Knode on Suse 10.0.
>>
>> I have my own newserver, based on leafnode, on another machine.
>>

>> When I subscribe to this group, I only get +-250 articles.
>> The server holds more than 6000, wich I can get with PAN.
>> In the Settings, I've configured Knode to fetch up to 9998 articles max.
>>

>> Anyone an idea how to get the full list of articles?
>>

>> PS: On this Knode, the group had been used before, then unsubscribed. I'm
>> resubscribing.
>
> Hi,
>
> I can recall have a similar problem last week. I subscribed with the
> default number of articles (1000) and changing the value in the settings,
> then refetching did not help. I believe I resolved it by unsubscribing and
> resubscribing while the new value (number of articles to download) was
> there. Also consider restarting KNode. This seems like a bug, which is
> worth reporting.

It's not really a bug, if you have said 1000 posts then it has to decide
what to do about the remainder, should it add a few now and then to make
subsequent downloads upto what ever number you selected?, in which case
depending how busy a news group is you could have very old posts trickling
in for some time to come. So there has to be a cut off point. Marking those
not fetched as read is the only one I can think of, otherwise it couldn't
know if it is duplicating a fetch.

Quite a few years ago, with Outlook Express I came across one that did that
refetch. It would collect the 250 but it there wasn't 250 new posts on that
fetch it would add older ones, until you clicked on 'Mark All As Read'. I
admit it didn't give duplicates, unless it was one that you had manually
deleted, but the old posts had no real value.

Better really to let the first download of headers be your starting point.
All questions will be asked a second time anyway, and for the archive the
google groups search is better anyway.