Re: [News] Aero for GNU/Linux (KDE)

> http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=13969
>
> Example screenshot:
>
> http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre2/13969-2.jpg

That's one fugly screenshot.  Gently merging the background into a
console window is one thing (and I like it), but having the borders
and controll surfaces match the background is pretty grotesque.

Here's an oddity.  It's been so long since I've used icons on a desktop
that seeing them is jarring to me.  I know, quirky.

Finally, a xinerama note.

I had this old machine that I bought from a guy, so I try to get the
video card (ATI Rage Pro 3D) to work.  It could be seen on the bus, but
X could not initialize it.  WTF?  Anyway, I finally destroyed that old
Sony VAIO that some old guy gave me (because the Billy Bitrotware on it
was killing its performance), and tried that card.  Worked right away.

It's running on a 14', at 800x600 I believe, but it's perfect for
smaller fonts, and the extra space, though minimal, is nice.

Unlike GDM, XFce deals with it properly, and puts a separate background
on it.

Also, I've noticed that xinerama handles the mouse pointer a bit more
rationally than does XP.  With XP, moving from a large desktop to the
smaller one loses the mouse.  Xinerama pops it up where you can see it
right away.

The only problem with this setup is that the smaller monitor has a
distinct bluish cast to it that I can't get rid of.

Anyway, crazy to see KDE running under Aero on Vista.  Why bother?

--
   It is easier to fix Unix than to live with NT.