Re: [News] Open Source Mantra Spreads to Many Areas

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 23 July 2006 09:08 \__

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-opensource23jul23,0,5797174.story?coll=la-home-headlines

>> The author should have probably mentioned GNU and RMS as well, perhaps
>> even the FSF and EFF.
>
> The author needs to do some proper research, although I'm assuming that
> the FSF folks will be down on him/her like a ton of bricks.  This is
> terrible journalism.

I googled (finally it's a word) for a while, but couldn't find the author's
E-mail address. Can you think of a way to correct him? Yesterday evening I
sent out the following...

===
I noticed your article which is due to go public on July 24th. It made me
think of One Microsoft way (or even Apple, for the sake of this argument)

I have a gripe with what you claim and suggest. Essentially you propose
robbing users from choice and diversity. Monoculture is what GNU/Linux is
here to address/tackle. Isn't that what SLED is for? Corporate uniformity?
Why eliminate all others as contenders? And why spread FUD about compiling
packages when there are such huge Ubuntu repositories.
===

In reference to:

http://www.crn.com/sections/microsoft/microsoft.jhtml?articleId=190900617

                        A Linux OS For All