Re: [News] Ten Tips for Improved (or New) Linux Experience

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:43:25 +0100
<3203857.Qy8L6CrCGH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 10 tips for a better Linux experience
>
> ,----[ Gist]
> | 10) Choose the right distribution

One hopes they go into some detail.  "Right" is an interesting value
judgement, and I frankly don't know how to answer the implied question
myself here.  Gentoo is right ... for me.  I can't say it's right for
the complete n00b, though the more technically-inclined might have a
chance with their LiveDisc and the Handbook.  Read carefuly in that
case!

> | 9) Join an on-line forum for your distribution
> |               (not COLA, for your own sake *wink*)

Well, this isn't a help forum.  Draw your own conclusions as to
the commentary here, lurkers. :-)

> | 8) When you need help ask good questions

Indeed.

> | 7) Do some research before you install

Indeed again.  The Gentoo Handbook might be a good place to start if
one's a bit technical; it goes into some detail.

> | 6) Make and keep making backups

I should. :-)

> | 5) Keep a notebook

The regular paper kind, presumably.

> | 4) Read Linux news sites

Erm....isn't COLA a Newsfeed site?  (Does that count as news?)

> | 3) Join or visit a Linux User Group (LUG)
> | 2) Be an explorer (or at least have the mindset of one)

Not to be confused with Internet Explorer(tm). :-)

> | 1) Have fun

With Linux, I *am* having fun again.  I'm not happy about the death of
the Amiga, but now, at least, I see some potential in OpenGL.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.