Re: Croatia government goes Open Source

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 21 July 2006 14:37 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 21 July 2006 13:39 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> A map would be excellent, but probably considerably more difficult to
>>> implement than a wiki.  A linux risk game could be quite compelling,
>>> though...
>>
>> We  could  use the Google Maps API, maybe even extend it  to
>> Earth.  *smile*  This reminds me of the guy who  implemented
>> Risk in Google Maps (non-profit)and then got a letter from a
>> solicitor demanding that he removes it. Blame copyrights. It
>> was on Slashdot. Twice.
>>

> That's an interesting idea, I think.  Actually, both of them are... but
> focussing on the open-source thing.  Have you any idea how that could be
> done?  I've not clue whatsoever about what the google APIs look like.

It needs to be learned. The learning curve is quite a repelling and I think
it might occasionally change (which means your Web application breaks until
you mend it). That's the same issue that I faced after I had created a
Firefox theme for 1.0.x...

Either way, I once read about what is involved in embedding Google Maps in
programs that are hosted on your site...

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2005/07/13/mapping-doomsday/ (site down at
the moment, there are related blog items)

It's quite a pointless toy example, which I believe Eric worked on to
practice his programming skills (his origins are in programming, but he's
now a CSS expert). Not Closed-Source Software. The other thing. *wink*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
Tasks: 118 total,   1 running, 115 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie