Re: Microsoft says Vista to allow Google search engine

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft says Vista to allow Google search engine
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:16:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 20 July 2006 09:15 \__

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyid=2006-07-19T174650Z_01_N19247245_RTRUKOC_0_US-MICROSOFT-PRINCIPLES.xml

>>> - and a slightly more far-reaching report from the BBC:-
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5196836.stm
>>>
>>> "Promising not to retaliate against computer makers that support
>>> non-Microsoft software"?
>>> I don't understand that - are they saying that they do at the moment,
>>> then?
>>
>> I wonder if they'll continue to not retaliate if they win their appeal
>> against the E.C. fine?
>
> I don't think that they'll ever pay the EU fine myself.  I'm sure
> they're begging the US government to try to bully the EU into abandoning
> the case, or trying to bribe the commissioner, or threaten the
> commissioner or undermine the commissioner, or, in fact, any underhand
> trick that they can come up with.

I  doubt the commissioner will reverse the decision owing to
a  free  copy of (oops! I mean "licence of") Windows  Vista.
Microsoft's  art  of  paying with  licences  (no  production
costs)  is best demonstated in regions such as Africa  where
use  of  computers is low (thus, it's very much like a  lost
market).