Re: Utter Disappointment...

  • Subject: Re: Utter Disappointment...
  • From: "NoNamer" <grug2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 21 Jul 2006 04:41:39 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ RPH ] on Friday 21 July 2006 09:40 \__
>
> > So off I go to install PCLinuxOS on the main family PC. Stick in the
> > LiveCD and boot. That was easy. Click on install icon on desktop. Follow
> > instructions. Half an hour or so later I have a bootable system.
> >
> > So why the disappointment? Well, from all the sob stories that certain
> > people trot out I wanted to fiddle about getting everything working.
> >
> > Damn thing just bloody worked! Only thing I had to do was get hold of a
> > driver for my printer (HP LJ1020) - downloaded it, followed instructions
> > and it... worked.
> >
> > What the hell am I supposed to tweak? Guess I'll just have to use it
> > instead!
> >
> > Seriously for a moment, it did install just fine, and it's now the
> > primary OS - XP is still on there so daughter can run her games, but
> > otherwise she has barely noticed the difference. There was only one app I
> > didn't have, but as it is something I wrote myself I just ported it
> > across.
> >
> > Okay, I have one minor gripe - the main mixer volume doesn't work, but
> > the headphone mixer channel affects the volume. Not that this would be a
> > problem for me in any OS as my speakers have a good old fashioned knob
> > marked "volume"!
>

> Rich,  I  had what I though was a similar problem in  Ubuntu
> and SUSE (same computer, sound card embedded in the on-board
> Intel   chipset).   Later  I  realised  that  I   was   just
> manipulating the wrong mixer dials, which means that only my
> ignorance   is  to  blame.  Sound  balance,  I  suspect,  is
> something  I  didn't  manage to change because  it  did  not
> correspond  to the type of output (CD, Master, System Sounds
> and  so  forth). So I suggest you tinker with the mixer  and
> see  how  you get along. Perhaps the mixer interfere is  not
> intuitive  (both  GNOME and KDE), but I am told by a  friend
> whom  I recently convinced to try Linux (Mandriva 2006) that
> mixing  under  Linux is far more advanced than XP  in  every
> area.  Perhaps  it's  a case of  complexity,  attributed  to
> excessive level of choice.

Uh huh... I love your spinning of the many Linux problems with audio.

I'm sure you're going to try to attack Windows in some way too.

> Windows  XP  has  some  third-party  mixers  that  extend  the
> capability of the more rudimentary one. These only come with
> pricey professional sound cards though.

lol

Windows has a basic mixing device.  No, it doesn't have sparkly windows
effects, but it does have a mixer for every audio device, and it works
as advertised - unlike Linux.

Also, each and every application has access to the sound device
(regardless of hardware) at the *same* time.  Not true in Linux.

Vista adds upon this by giving each application its own independent
mixer (and a totally rewritten kernel for audio as well dropping
latencies even below a Macintoshes - and WAY below Linux audio
latencies).

> This  entire thing reminds me of a statement once made by wd
> in this newsgroup. People come to Linux with the presumption
> that  it's  hard and any case they find to justify this  and
> give  up would do. Stereotypes (FUD,prior experiences in the
> nineties,  etc.) are the worst enemy of Linux. "It's not me,
> it  Linux. Easier to blame the software, which others say is
> hard/faulty".

Probably either because it WAS a fault of Linux, or it is so damned
unintuitive it would actually take documentation to explain - which is
one of the worst points about Linux.