Re: [News] The Monopoly on the Bookshelves

  • Subject: Re: [News] The Monopoly on the Bookshelves
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:21:38 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Oliver Wong <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

> "billwg" <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Something Fishy at Barnes and Nobles
>>>
>>> ,----[ Snippet ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>>                http://somethingfishyatbarnesandnobles.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Nobody is interested in books on OpenOffice so there must be a black
>> conspiracy being perpetrated by Microsoft.  Lame.
>
>     From the blog:
><quote>
> If you don't think that Microsoft would resort to such tactics, you need to
> brush up a bit on your history. At a conference on Microsoft's
> anticompetitive behaviors, a reporter from a newspaper in Wisconsin
> described how Bill Gates had called the editorial board of the newspaper to
> tell them to "deal with" a reporter whose articles he didn't like.
></quote>
>
> I wish the blogger would give a citation for this. I tried a couple of
> google queries like "Wisconsin Bill Gates", but came up with nothing. If the
> blogger gave the name of the newspaper, it might be easier to track this
> down.

Well, it's well known that the Mafia do video recordings of all their
"offers people can't refuse" so that the rest of us can prove it in
usenet discussions.

Of /course/ you won't find such articles - this is the whole point which
is being made - the nature of the corruption is such that this isn't
going to come to light - certainly not for a long time, and probably not
ever.

Naturally, over time, those involved will speak out, but as long as MS
has astroturfers, enforcers, and so on asking these kinds of questions,
then we can assume that they're trying to keep it covered up.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.
		-- Doug Gwyn