Re: Sun Microsystems to Cut 5,000 Jobs

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060531/sunmicrosystems_jobcuts.html?.v=5
>
> As said many times before, Linux is replacing Solaris (Ubuntu will even be
> included in Sun servers). Oracle and Novell axed many jobs as well, as soon
> they announced the Open Source and Linux strategy.

the cuts are too little...not enough of what Wall Street wants, but
it's a start. I think sun wants to move to profitability. And as far as
I know, Sun is not replacing solaris - they'd be fools to do
so...they're selling solaris AND linux, which differentiates them from
the pack and gives them higher margins.

As one of the links you just posted notes:

Sun regain(ed) the leadership in Unix-based servers and (is) gaining
revenue and market share in the overall market over the most recent
quarter......Sun has (also) reported that it had the highest growth
among the top five vendors in the Linux-based space in terms of
shipments and revenues. And Sun did emerge, according to the report,
with an overall sales growth of 7.6 percent over a year ago, and now
trails Dell by a scant 0.1 percentage point in the overall market.