Re: [News] Ubuntu Dapper Drake Almost Ready for Download

__/ [ M ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 09:12 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Site redesign welcomes the milestone:
>>
>>         http://www.ubuntu.com/
>>
>> KDE 3.5.3 Released with Kubuntu Packages
>>
>>         http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-353.php
>>
>> You will find it here when it's finally up:
>>
>>         http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/6.06/
>
> I downloaded and attempted to install Kubuntu 6.06 rc1.
> Downloaded the iso and burnt it.
> Started up the PC and used the verify option to check all was well, passed
> with flying colours.
>
> Start the CD up, and what you get is a LiveCD with an install icon on the
> left hand side. So far so good.
>
> Click on the install icon and get a wizard with I think 7 Pages. Answer the
> questions all straight forward, get to the Partition Page, and selected
> manual partition. It was after this point that everything started to
> horrible wrong and it started to crash and bang.
>
> 1st Attempt:
> Partition 1: 1Gb Swap
> Partition 2: 25Gb Root
> Partition 3: 180Gb Home
> Partition 4: \iso 44Gb <----- Hoped it might be clever and mount this
> on /iso
>
> Partition and Formats partitions 1 -> 3 then bang!
>
> 1st Attempt:
> Partition 1: 1Gb Swap
> Partition 2: 25Gb Root
> Partition 3: 224Gb Home
>
> Partition and Formats partitions 1 -> 3 starts install then crashes
> somewhere in the process.
>
> Anyway after a couple of hours messing around and getting now where I
> thought 'sod this' it was time to 'skin the cat' a different way.
>
> Installed Kubuntu version 5.1, then used apt-get to do a distribution
> upgrade. Thankfully it all goes through successfully, reboot and up comes
> Dapper version of Kubuntu, pheeew!!
>
> Looks very nice. Open Office somehow has done a disappearing act, so I have
> to install that (think I had to add a separate repository).
>
> Spent a few more hours installing various other bits and pieces, and I am
> pleased to say I am up and running.
>
> Although I installed synaptic, I made quite extensive use of the CLI,
> decided it would be quicker and easier and get the job done faster. :-)
>
> The liveCD of the new install CD seems to work really well, what worries me
> (especially for newbies) is that Kubuntu installer, it does not seem to be
> in a very happy state at the moment. I don't know how much testing they
> have done with it, but it did not work for me.
>
> I don't know if I was dreaming it, but I am sure I posted a quick report on
> the Ubuntu forums, especially as bugzilla would not let me report the
> problem (may be I pressed the wrong buttons), anyway it too seems to have
> disappeared. Oh well, such is life.

Mirrors are up:

        http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=185570#post1075007

Torrents in motion. It has gone gold just moments ago.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
 10:15am  up 34 days 16:47,  9 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.29, 1.46