Re: [News] Woman Targetted by Windows Flaw

__/ [ Paul Hovnanian P.E. ] on Friday 02 June 2006 03:42 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A woman from Greater Manchester has become a victim of an internet scam
>> | in which hackers hijack computer files and blackmail owners to get them
>> | back.
>> |
>> | The new phenomenon, known as Ransomware, means victims cannot access
>> | any of the files stored in their My Documents folder.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/5034384.stm
>>
>> Windows: Insecure by design.
>>                                 --Roy Culley
>
> Microsoft should hire these guys. They already have the digital rights
> management system running that Microsoft has wanted for years.

*LOL* In either case, I am sure that Jon Loch (AKA DVD Jon) will reverse
engineer it all, making it publicly available. The last time I heard about
him, he left Norway and went to work on some fun 'unshacking' projects with
a senior guy in the States.

It is amusing (in some off sense) to think that once you break the shackles,
they are broken for good. Any change to the locks would break backward
compatibility. I wonder how long it would take before someone breaks Apple
and Microsoft DRM, providing a nice Linux GUI to decryption and, in due
time, even incorporating this into mplayer (and other 'forbidden' tools). A
rightful owner should be permitted to migrate to Linux with the media s/he
had purchased.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
  8:10am  up 35 days 14:42,  16 users,  load average: 2.83, 2.98, 2.93