Re: The Words of a DRM Idiot

  • Subject: Re: The Words of a DRM Idiot
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:33:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Thursday 01 June 2006 00:15 \__
>
>> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 22:24 Da'Punk-A wrote:
>>
>>> McAllister also complains about Stallman calling DRM Digital
>>> Restrictions Management.  But Stallman's only calling it as he sees it.
>>>  DRM is about restrictions a lot more than it is rights.
>>
>> Depends which side you look at it from, doesn't it?
>> - it's about the "rights" of the sellers, and the restriction of the
>> buyers, is it not?
>> I suppose you could use the same argument re. slavery and freedom - slavery
>> is the freedom of the slave owners to own slaves........
>>
>> Funny world we live in, innit?:-)
>
> Well, here it's corporate deceit that plays a role. See the other thread that
> addresses DRM issues, as well as someone's real life confrontation with the
> technology, _just because his daughter got victimised_. They are holding
> innocent people hostage for the sake of increased profits. From their point
> of view, it's prevention of privacy. But does the loyal and willing customer
> never count? Apparently not.

Well, they do, but only in so far as they have wealth (perhaps limited,
but some) which can be transferred from them to the organisation in
question.  In a way, I've almost got more time for traditional conmen -
at least they're reasonably honest about what they're doing :-)

A can of ASPARAGUS, 73 pigeons, some LIVE ammo, and a FROZEN DAQUIRI!!