Re: Winamp vs. Xmms

  • Subject: Re: Winamp vs. Xmms
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 06:33:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rick ] on Monday 05 June 2006 06:19 \__

> tab wrote:
>> If you are looking for just something that plays music,
>> then Xmms, sort of works, if the sound drivers were installed
>> correctly.
>
> XMMS works. Period. Not sort of.

XMMS runs for months (non-step) without a hiccup. It's a stable workhorse. I
can't say the same about Winamp, which I have used it for ummmm.... 23-15=8
years and it has always been somewhat flaky.

>> Then go to Winamp, and look at the skins.  It is really cool.
>> Look at the features.
>
> XMMS uses skins. Beeg Deel.

In Winamp's defence, skins can change the overall shape of the player in the
latest of Winamp, which has become a total bloatware. Back in the days, I
used to get Winmap from oldversion.com. Attempts to become a media
player/Web browser were a wrong turn for the once-lightweight Winamp.
Vis-a-vis Winamp, it recently had a severe security issue discovered.

>> If you just some something, Xmms could do it.
>> There have been problems reported.
>
> The above doesn't parse.

Well, it's a Sunday, so give him/her a break. Might be weekend boozing...

>> Winamp does it with style.
>>
>> I know, one of the Linux Advocates will claim that the battery life
>> of Winamp repeating a playlist is 2 hours, and the same playlist on
>> Xmms with SuSE is 15 hours.
>
> More tab whining about nothing.

Oh, it was tab? I haven't received the OP yet. I can only see your (Rick's)
post and I missed the attribution.

Best wishes,

Roy

PS - What's the deal with XMMS anyway? It is no longer maintained judging by
a message that I once posted to the mailing list. We still have SongBird,
AmaroK (XMMS successor?), Banshee (and maybe Rhythmbox, which I don't
fancy).

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Signature pending approval"
  6:20am  up 38 days 11:53,  11 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.78, 0.74