Re: [News] Critical Ubuntu Bug: Market Share

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Monday 05 June 2006 17:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 05 Jun 2006 04:21:39 +0100
> <4904620.9W20sjRSkb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/dapper/+bug/1
>>
>> [Yes, it's sarcasm]
>
> Hm.  And how is Mark Shuttleworth going to fix this bug? :-)

Change a single line of code to potch the flaw

,----[ Code ]
`----

> One interesting comment, from Jeff Frazier (way down near the bottom):
>
>     A possible work around for this bug isCo-Op dollars for the small
>     retailer.
>     A custom Pc builder can be *encouraged* to provide a product with a
>     GNU/Linux Os Vs. a bug infested, Closed Source, Money Hungry B$
>     operating system. Co-Op dollars can be an effective *Bug* Spray ;-)
>
> That might work, actually.  Hard for me to tell, though.  But
> Microsoft has a very *big* wall -- about $33B worth.  It takes
> time to scale a market barrier of that size.

That's just what I thought. A 'kickbacks war' requires some very deep
pockets. But look at the bright side: only customers win; but they will get
ripped off in some indirect way, in order to narrow the margins...

> (The good news: Microsoft seems to have shot a number of holes in its
> wall, by their own actions.  Vista isn't going to run on anything but
> newly-minted PC desktop units, with plenty of horsepower.)

I'm sure it'll gets Bullmer hot.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
  7:30pm  up 39 days  1:03,  11 users,  load average: 3.56, 3.70, 3.87