Re: COLA Stats 4 June 2006

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

__/ [ GreyCloud ] on Monday 05 June 2006 06:33 \__

Chirag Shukla wrote:

 5. Ewik 'the Weasel' Funkenbusch [4]                 79  111170    51%
 6. flatfish - TROLL / THIEF / LIAR / RACIST          68   68465    54%
    DooFuS - LIAR / WINTROLL / RACIST                 38   49153    61%
17. billwg - WINTROLL / LIAR LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!        35   76954    68%
26. Flatfish Nyms - TROLL / THIEF / LIAR / RACIST     28   34394    61%
    linux-sux - WINTROLL                              23   28658    77%

Leaving off the aliases or person opinion in Statistics would help.

These labels make the group seem immature, hostile and unprofessional.

It certainly does. If we want to promote Linux, we can't afford to dip that low. Besides, the posts that flatfish does post do have useful information in them regardless if it isn't flattering to Linux. It may just prompt the developers to make the necessary corrections and make Linux apps a better product.

Agreed.  That's why I only read this forum once in a blue moon.
The other Roy manages to post some news about Linux now and then, but
not much advocacy goes on.  The best form of advocacy is to have someone
post some neat ways of getting things done from time to time... sort of
like a 'Tip of the Day'.  One can learn from that method.

Grey,

If you look at a recent subsample of threads, you will see that the
most-replied to [News] items involve Microsoft in one way of another. I can
think of an explanation, but it's not something that will change.

I'm not complaining about that part. Why would I shoot the messenger?

I often think about posting pure Linux material, but I don't think it will
have any takers. For that reason, I just blog about it. There, for example,
is something I posted half an hour ago:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/06/05/i-love-kde/

I don't know about COLA readers, but active COLA posters are unlikely to show
much interest in such item. I would love to be proven wrong/otherwise.

There are tons of material out there on Linux. It is quite easy not to get some golden tidbits from time to time, and seeing that you do admin a server, your occasional posts of useful cli commands for solving problems hasn't gone unnoticed. Usually, when one posts these golden tidbits no one is going to troll it, but spend more time either printing it out or copying it down. Just because I purchased an iMac doesn't mean that those cli commands can't be used.

-- Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?