Re: Apache down, Windows up - article

__/ [ Big Bill ] on Tuesday 06 June 2006 17:02 \__

> What's in this for GoDaddy, one wonders?
>
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

You answered your own rhetorical question, in a sense. The other question to
ask is, "what's in this for Microsoft FUD campaigns?"

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]
| It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
| Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
| using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
| solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
| technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
| GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
| many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
| release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
| offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
| domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
| registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
| other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
`----

                        http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=15108

Somebody who is a Web host in alt.www.webmaster has confessed to me that
Microsoft virtually bribe hosts in order to have them moved to Windows and
give the world an illusion.

Sorry about a rant.... but now you know the whole true story.

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060604