Re: Microsoft's Anti-Google FUD

__/ [ asj ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 14:07 \__

> asj wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> > Yes, it's not just Linux and OSS (e.g. OpenOffice) that they try to
>> > ridicule Microsoft: Google Spreadsheets is so 10 Years Ago
>> >
>> > http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3611576
>>
>> I think someone's getting scared ;-)

When they don't ignore you, but choose to ridicule you instead, you have got
to be doing something right! They are fighting Google head-to-head at the
moment (the SOA threat the last spoke about 2 weeks ago) and I don't think
that Live version of Office is ready, just as yet.

Google's Writely acquisition means that Web-based Word from Google is just
around the corner. Calendar + GMail = Outlook. So what's the missing link?
To most work environments, this will accommodate all needs. Needless to
mention, OpenOffice.org, Firefox and Thunderbird (all Windows installers
come with the Ubuntu live CD) can achieve it all as well, just locally, as
native applications.

> Oh, and given google's reach and openness, I expect someone to create a
> mobile client to this new google spreadsheet soon, much like the
> clients being created for Google Calendar.
>
> http://blueboard.com/smalljava/archives/50
> http://www.gcalsync.com/
>
> Can't get any COOLER than that!

I used to be using Docs2Go on Palm OS (since 2002), but it was too
Office-esqe and somewhat clunky, so I dropped it last year. Without a doubt,
when Google make their spreadsheets easily accessible via the Web (if it
ain't so already), Microsoft will lose an edge.

Google Groups, which you happily use, is one example of the successful use of
lightweight pages to provide and serve as a gateway to personalised content.
Oh, and I'm not sure how well Internet Explorer for CE (Windows Mobile) can
cope with CSS and tabular data... we shall soon have a laugh perhaps.

Opera was recently shown to be the quickest Web browser (to render tables in
that particular incomplete benchmark). I can get you the link (I know you
rave about Opera)...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit
  2:05pm  up 40 days 19:38,  11 users,  load average: 1.74, 1.67, 1.64