Re: OO.o getting faster?

  • Subject: Re: OO.o getting faster?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:14:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Chirag Shukla ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 14:59 \__

>> i wasn't asking for a perfect comparison, just see what times people
>> got. if they were around the same time. if you must know i'm running an
>> AMD sempron @ 1.8GHz (2400+ iirc) and 512MB RAM with a (fairly) minimal
>> gentoo install under xfce with thunderbird running. that should be
>> enough to get an idea of the speed i'd imagine. i'm just curious to see
>> if it's my setup or if openoffice genuinely did get faster in the latest
>> update.
>
> Gateway E-4100, P4 2.6GHz (512kb cache), 512 MB RAM with customized FC5
> installation running GNOME --> OpenOffice 2.0.2 timed soon after
> clicking Writer till it opened up: the very first time after boot took
> 9-11 seconds. Subsequent to that, 2-3 seconds on each attempt tried at
> different intervals of 5, 15, and 30 minutes. Comparable results on 5
> other machines with similar hardware/software.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. It doesn't seem to be any worse than Windows
XP /without/ the startup 'routine' that speeds up Office at the expense of
available RAM.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"
  3:10pm  up 40 days 20:43,  11 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.36, 0.55