Re: [News] MSFT Alert - Jump Ship

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 17:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 07 Jun 2006 15:26:35 +0100
> <1465447.OCBjOsnYZD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ Colin Day ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 15:07 \__

>>> Of course RedHat  and Novell also fell that day.
>>
>> What about Debian,
>
> Non-profit.
>
>> Ubuntu,
>
> Looks non-profit, although it's not entirely clear.  It's registered
> to someone in the UK; name service is provided by
> Blackcatnetworks.co.uk, probably their upstream supplier.
>
> "Virtual dedicated services from 15 pounds per month".
>
>> Xandros,
>
> Commercial, no stock.
>
>> and Linspire?
>
> Commercial, no stock.

*Exactly* my point. I was sarcastic there and thought it would become
rhetorical. I wanted to stress the fact that, while large vendors struggle
or even perish, others are serving the Linux agenda at their expense.

>> The way I perceive this,
>> the beautiful thing about Linux is that nobody is forced to /buy/
>> it (the poor therefore wins too).
>
> The poor might have minor problems acquiring the hardware,
> though one could contemplate giveaway programs of
> older-model units, in lieu of scrapping/recycling them;
> I'd be surprised if someone hasn't attempted this in major
> US cities.

Jon 'Mad Dog' Hall has already proposed this. He opines that the
one-PC-per-child ($100 laptop) project could be replaced by use of old,
re-used hardware running Linux.

I suppose the two initiatives/approaches could be deployed in tandem. They
should at least try to stick with the same distro/DE (Fedora?). Think about
the confused children! Think about the children!!!

>> I don't think Google, for instance, has paid anyone for licensing half a
>> million Debians. For the task at hand, they didn't even need new powerful
>> PC's... *smile*
>
> Debian's non-profit, though they'll gladly accept
> donations, I'm sure. :-)

Google is a garage startup. Are you out of your mind? Should they start a
garden sale to raise money for Debian? (that was sarcasm again *smile*)

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
  5:20pm  up 40 days 22:53,  11 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.75, 0.80