Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

__/ [ Erik Funkenbusch ] on Wednesday 07 June 2006 19:25 \__

> So, it appears that Roy is using images on his blog that he has wholesale
> copied from the authors without permission.
>
> I noticed this on this article:
>
> http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2006/03/03/scoble-given-up/
>
> Interesting that he credits the image author (for that one), but he
> neglected to actually get the authors permission to copy it.  I was
> supsicious that this might be the case and emailed the author to find out.
> He confirmed that it was copyright infringement.
>
> If he had merely linked to the image, it would have been more acceptable,
> since he wouldn't have actually copied the image.  However, that would beg
> the bandwidth stealing argument of linking to images on other peoples
> sites.
>
> In any event, I have to wonder how many other images on his site have been
> similarly misappropriated.  Many of them have no credits at all.
>
> Bummer for you Roy.

The cartoon has the creator acknowledged, with an explicit link. As the
"About Site" page states, all graphics were created by myself or taken from
Stock Exchange, which is a royalty-free image stock where no restrictions
are imposed.

On HotLinking: for your information, I have had E-mail exchanges with John
Dvorak, who HotLinks all the time. He keeps defending his stance. Among all
the sites on the Web, my sites make no copyright infringements and I am very
strict about this, even when my contributers insist otherwise.

If you need to put my full name in the subject line to get my attention, then
you are utterly miserable. And as your nickname suggests, you are also a
weasel.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
  7:25pm  up 41 days  0:58,  11 users,  load average: 2.13, 2.51, 2.40