Re: MSFT Alert - Jump Ship

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Thursday 08 June 2006 03:08 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Down another 1.64% yesterday. Almost below 22 dollars at the moment (a
>> couple of months ago I predicted the teens by the end of Q3). Look at the
>> graph and despair.
>
> First question.  Are you anything other than a "guy in a diner" as far
> as the market is concerned?
>
> The big drop probably had to do more with the interest rates (Microsoft
> has a boat-load of receivables on it's service contracts which lose
> value as interest rates rise), than failures on the part of Microsoft.

Microsoft is an American corporation. Linux is neither American, nor it is a
corporation. News over here in the UK indicate that the American economy
might be verging depression. While I don't intend to (metaphorically) slap
anyone on the wrist (I have family in the States), if the American economy
suffers, Microsoft will suffer /with/ it.

> Inflation is up, growth is down, interest rates are likely to rise, and
> the Fed seems out of control (actually they are doing what they have to
> do to be able to correct for another recession, if/when it occurrs).
> When Interest rates go up, housing prices go down.  People can't
> refinance their houses to make the payments or make improvements, or
> buy computers.  Businesses can't borrow as much on their equity to buy
> new equipment.

That's right! What will better serve them than free software, which /also/
happens to require nothing more than the hardware already in their
possession?

> Worse, real income is down, which means that people have less money to
> spend on stuff that costs more.  If you have ANY debts, that's a big
> problem.
>
> The government can borrow more money (which drives interest rates up)
> or it can print more money (which drives inflation up which drives
> interest rates up), and is currently doing both.
>
> Let's just hope that the legacy of the Bush II administration doesn't
> end up being the worst economic recession since the Great Depression.

I don't care for Bush, either. I never did. I had my Al Gore wallpaper up
from 2000 to 2003, uninterrupted. As I saw things degrade, I came to
appreciate what could have been, had these stupid butterfly ballots were not
used in Florida.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
  7:25am  up 41 days 12:58,  11 users,  load average: 1.63, 1.09, 0.87