Re: [News] Flash Demonstration of 14 Linux Distributions

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:02:35 +0100
<3872799.DvuYhMxLoT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> http://linshots.com/
>
> Very nice screenshot-based tours. Try and and you'll see what I mean...

Intriguing.  Well done, too...for a slide show; there's
no concept, for instance, of how long an operation takes.
(Not that big an issue, and because it's a slide show one
doesn't have to worry about JPEG/MPEG artifacting.)

ELive is interesting, as it's heavily into transparency,
and rather prettily so.  Ubuntu does the basics well,
as far as I can tell from this slide show.  PC-BSD does
a nice job of demonstrating KDE on BSD; I'd be very
hard-pressed to distinguish it from a Linux slideshow,
except of course for the sillier things like the PC-BSD
in the upper right of the background and a sphere with
devil's horns replacing Tux in the lower left.

The pulldown menu idea is a little weird.  The default
flipthrough is a bit fast but the slide show is pausable
so that's not that big a deal.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.