Re: Roy Schestowitz - Pirate

Larry Qualig <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> every e-mail message, Usenet posting, web page, or other computer work
> you have ever created - or seen - is copyrighted. That also means that,
> if you are not the copyright owner of a particular Usenet posting, web
> page, or other computer work, you may not copy, distribute, modify, or
> display it unless one or more of the following is true:
>
> * Its copyright owner has given you permission to do so
> * It is in the public domain
> * Doing so would constitute fair use
> * You have an implied license to do so

The argument around usenet archiving, as I understand it, falls under
the 'implied license' category.  The very nature of the medium you
are posting to implies it will be copied and stored on a gazillion
servers.  As long as the posts are faithfully reproduced and not
edited or distorted in any way, I doubt any charge of copyright
infringement would stick.

Standard 'I Am Not A Lawyer' disclaimers apply.

Thad