[News] Compute Cluster Server 2003 Released; Linux Yawns in Supercompting Clusters

Yes, notice the year. 2003! The release is slightly late, no?

http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6081810.html?part=rss&tag=6081810&subj=news

,----[ Microsoft wraps up code for 'supercomputer' Windows ]
| Such work, long handled by systems from SGI and Cray, has increasingly been
| tackled by Linux clusters, though Microsoft has been planning its entry for
| some time.
|
| "This is a long-term investment for Microsoft," Kyril Faenov, director of
| High Performance Computing at Microsoft, said in a telephone interview. "We
| think we can make an impact."
`----

"Long-term"?

"_Can_ make an impact"?

Doesn't sound so confident to me... sorry. The article proceeds:

,----[ Quote ]
| The company had originally hoped to have the software ready last fall,
| but opted to spend more time testing the product.
`----

Maybe anti-Linux FUD can help this develop.