Re: Reporting students who violate copyright?

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Karen Hill
<karen_hill22@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 8 Jun 2006 13:56:24 -0700
<1149800184.298917.140690@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> X-No-Archive:yes
>
> We know that plagiarism is a serious offence in academia.  Are
> copyright violations also serious matters?   What are the punishments
> for graduate students who should know better?

Copyright infringement and remedies are dealt with in
Title 17, Chapter 5, Sections 501 through 513, of the US Code.

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/uscode/browse.html

AFAICT, criminal prosecution is possible if the value of
the works is over $1,000 (retail).  Civil suits have the
option of recovering damages (including court costs and
attorney's fees for *both* sides) and lost profits.

One would hope that there are additional punitive measures
available, such as expulsion.  However, that is not for
the Feds to decide; that is a school-by-school and possibly
state-by-state matter.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.