Re: Google ranking question

  • Subject: Re: Google ranking question
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 05:44:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [ Paul ] on Saturday 10 June 2006 02:25 \__

> On 9 Jun 2006 17:34:36 -0700, task.management.software@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>
> Hi

Thrice?

>>I want to have a flash startup page for www.orbisoft.com that has an
>>embedded flash player playing the
>>http://www.orbisoft.com/products/taskmanager/2007/video/index.htm
>>video.
>
> Why ?
> are you trying to drive customers away ?

Depending on the content in question, Flash might be a sensible idea.
Sometimes, to some visitors, ignorance is bliss. I haven't checked the site
in question, so apologies in advance for any prejudice.

Flash does not build Web sites. You could as well just deliver the SWF file
(or God forbid -- Word document) to your customers directly. Forget about
the idea of the Open WWW and the WWW (e.g. search engines) will forget about
you. If you turn a blind eye to standards, how will anybody link to a
sub-)page that exists in your site (=domain with index.htm and Flash clip)?
Links give sites some status.

>>Then after it is played the surfer is taken to www.orbisoft.com (the
>>page displayed there currently).
>>ff
>>Will this affect the google ranking since the video page won't have any
>>of the word content that the existing www.orbisoft.com has?
>
> What does common sense tell you.
> Spiders eat text, Flash = no text.

Splash screens are said to be unnecessary and annoying. They serve as gateway
to the actual information that people want to use. Search the Web to find
out more on this topic. Neilson has some good writings on this.

>>If so, what is the solution?
>
> Dont use a splash page
> esp a flash splash page

Content is gold. It's not a presentation, it's not a poster and it is not a
book. Use hyperlink, embed microformats here suitable, separate content from
style and choose a rational site structure (hierarchy).

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:35am  up 43 days 11:08,  10 users,  load average: 0.79, 1.22, 1.25