Re: [News] Opera 9 Released, Upports at Least 15 Linux Distributions

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 20 June 2006 16:07 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> 7 operating systems supported and, as I said earlier, Puppy Linux will
>> bundle Opera shortly.
>>
>> http://www.opera.com/download/
>> http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/?platform=linux
>>
>> Good Web browser. Check out Widgets.
>>
>> http://widgets.opera.com/
>
> I like opera, have used it since FF refused to open the main sites I browse
> (no, this isn't a part of the blocking mechanism that can be turned off). I
> would say that for a newbie Opera would be easier because all of the bits
> and bobs work without any extra effort.

I  have had Opera 8.5 installed for a while, but I only ever
use it for testing (WordPress in particular). Opera does not
offer  many of the plugins that I very much depend on  under
Firefox.  Other  can  attest to the  same  experience.  Like
Mozilla,   Opera  need  to  open  the  door  for   develops'
involvement. Now, if only these Java extensions were generic
enough so that you could strap them onto Opera...

Opera,  by  the way, is one of the fastest browsers  around.
It's  about the programming paradigm tradeoffs which involve
simplicity  and  abstraction, among other factors (bad,  bad
Java...  well  good quality applications made  quickly,  but
with a penalty, efficiency-wise).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:50pm  up 54 days  0:04,  12 users,  load average: 1.02, 1.09, 1.11