Re: Microsoft Plays Massachusetts Senate Card

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Plays Massachusetts Senate Card
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 20 Jun 2006 09:54:03 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Colin Day wrote:
> Larry Qualig wrote:
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> Another take on the same case of corrupting/subverting justice:
> >>
> >> Microsoft plays Massachusetts Senate card
> >>
> >> OpenDocument not a done deal yet
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]

> >> `----
> >>
> >>                         http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32515
> >

> > -> However, this week Vole gave Massachusetts high schools and
> > universities
> > -> more than splashed out more than $30 million worth of IT gear. This
> > works
> > -> out at $800 per student, and $2,400 per college kid. This is a huge
> > amount
> > -> of dosh, by education donation standards, in what is a very small US
> > -> State.
> >

> > Whoever wrote this article is a moron. And the "editor" (if there is
> > one) must be an idiot for not checking any of the data. If they can't
> > get *simple* facts right then how can anything else in the article be
> > trusted?
> >
> > According to the Mass Dept. of Education 2005 public school enrollment
> > (K-12) was 975,911 students. Completely ignoring any and all college
> > students, it works out to $30 per student... not the $800 claimed.
> >
> >    http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/state.asp
> >

> > One public university alone, UMass Amherst has 18,500 undergrads.
> > That's $1,600 for per-student for just this one single school. Not
> > $2,400 claimed for *ALL* college students.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Massachusetts_Amherst
> >

> > Regarding MA being a "very small state" - we (my home state) are
> > currently 13th in the nation in terms of population. The author must
> > have a "very small brain" to be so wrong on so many simple points.
> >

> I had questioned those figures in an earlier post.

Sorry about that... I never saw your post.

> Where in MA are do you live?

I lived in Waltham when we first moved here from New York. In early
1996 I moved out to the 'Redmond area' for just over 2 years and my
wife and kids remained in Waltham. In the spring of 1998 I moved back
to MA and we bought a house out in Concord. We've lived here ever
since.

I've heard of Winthrop several times but wasn't sure where it was so I
looked it up on a map. I have a good friend that rents a house out in
Nahant each summer with a bunch of people. Nahant is a few miles
directly "across the water" from Winthrop.

> I grew up in Winthrop but now live in South Carolina.

We still have kids in school (2-college, 1-High School) but once the
kids all move away we'll probably retire in North Carolina. We've been
to the Outer Banks in NC several times and like the area. That's still
about 8 years down the road so who knows what'll happen by then.