Re: Why Linux and Windows NT series are not fairly compared

  • Subject: Re: Why Linux and Windows NT series are not fairly compared
  • From: JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:15:53 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.windows-xp, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.lang.java.programmer
On 2006-06-19, roy.schestowitz@xxxxxxxxx <roy.schestowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> samir.ribic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> The comparision between Linux and Windows (I mean NT/2000/XP series)
>> often rises to flame war. Linux users often point to bad and buggy
>> Internet Explorer, and tell that it is the main reason why Windows is
>> crap. When someone points that Konqueror and Firefox under Linux can
>> crash very often, the counter argument is "They are not integral part
>> of Linux, you are not forced to use them". When someone points that
>> Linux is slower, the answer is "Do not use KDE, and Linux will be fast"
>
> Firefox under Linux crashes all the time. The last time I used Internet

	Fortunately, I am not married to it as a Linux user as I am with
exploder and Windows. Now while it's true that you "in theory" have the
option to use other competiting products under Windows, the whole 800lb
market gorilla and lemming effect pretty much ensures that you can use
whatever is considered the "standard market leader" product.

	This means a single word processor, spreadsheet or web browser.

[deletia]
> In Linux, the /user/ can *CHOOSE* what goes on top of the kernel.
> Of course much of what goes on top of the kernel is buggy but that does

	All it takes is ONE app that is better in that situation.

	That is the value of open competition and a free market.

	If I don't like firefox I can switch to Konqueror or Opera. That is
what the DOS world originally promised and what it no longer provides.

--
	OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop.      |||
				                               / | \