Re: [News] Hoax(?): SCO Releases Linux

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 19 June 2006 07:00 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Caldera OpenLinux X: Joke? Trial Balloon? Set up? Or a Hoax?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There is a supposed press release on a site owned by The SCO Group,
>> | located in Germany, purporting to announce that SCO is releasing a new
>> | version of OpenLinux, Caldera OpenLinux X, based on the 2.5 Linux
>> | kernel. I consider it a fake announcement.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | I have noticed some troll comments on the Internet recently predicting
>> | that "Linux loonies" will DDOS if they get mad. This is of course one
>> | of SCO's favorite memes. Might this pretend press release be trying to
>> | outrage the community, so that a DDOS can be blamed on them?
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060617185813203
>
> The whole openlinux.org domain seems to have mysteriously disappeared
> since the Groklaw post.
>
> Here's a cache copy of the announcement, taken by Google's bot on 17 Jun
> 2006 23:06:21 GMT.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/klmld (google.com)

This does not look formal enough. IIRC, PJ has already done the whois lookup,
which left her skeptic. Apart from the SCO logo on top, I fail to see
anything credible therein.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it collapses" --Windows TCP
Cpu(s):  20.2% user,   3.7% system,  17.9% nice,  58.2% idle