Re: [News] Foley: Without Gates, Microsoft No Longer Scares Competitors

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Friday:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Will Microsoft Still Be Microsoft Without Bill Gates?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1977460,00.
>>> as p?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
>>
>> I think they are testing the waters for new markets,
>> desktop has peaked and is now in decline.  In order to
>> survive, they will have to become a different company to
>> pursue other markets.
>>
>> Besides, Bill is getting closer to retirement age.  The
>> only thing left for him to lick are stamps (his hobby).
>
> More like licking his wounds. The issue is that the
> desktop market gets replaced by a whole new different
> 'monster'. Potentially, this will be USB drive-based boots,
> or even network boots, which permit access to Web services.
> I can envision that already. Bandwidth makes this on par
> with the slowness of Windows Vista (at least to a human
> observer/user) and capacity is sufficient in most places in
> the world. Cunning AJAX tricks and evolving Web standards
> make it more practical every day.

I wouldn't say lick wounds, there are no wounds to lick for
now, although challenges for the corporation exist yet future.
Megapolis industries can rise and be put down based on their
leadership.  McDonnell Douglas was once a giant in the
aerospace industry.  As a family run business, they made bad
business decisions, which cost them the whole corporation.

Lately, things seem to be quiet in the media in the EU court.
I do not know if this will truly ever come to a head.

IMHO, working world still seems to drive the home computer
market.  We see little of web TV, although I suppose it has
made some dents in the market.  If workplace uses Linux, we
will see more home user Linux.  With more college graduates
having hands on knowledge of Linux will influence the
workforce.

However, I agree that we will see more and more web based
services.

Forums are becoming more web based.  Some have already
abandoned usenet posting, because of trolling, spamming and
rudeness, which moderated forums experience less of.

--
HPT