Re: Tipping Point Ahead

  • Subject: Re: Tipping Point Ahead
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:56:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.lang.java.advocacy
__/ [ Roedy Green ] on Saturday 17 June 2006 10:47 \__

> On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 21:57:44 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>>Well, .NET is surely no friend of Java. By turning some backs on Windows,
>>Java prevails and .NET will perish. Taking this line of arguments a wee bit
>>further, Linux is more stable and it is Free to modify, re-distribute, and
>>extend (e.g. to clusters) -- all without a cost
>
> Presumably Vista will be even more copy-protected and big brotherish
> than XP. I have stuck with W2K for that reason.

As of July 11th, if I recall correctly, it is no longer supported. Microsoft
has actually axed it sooner, as it refused to patch an Internet Explorer
flaw/patent infringement bit in 98/ME.

> I have been laptop shopping today.  All laptops come with XP, not a
> one with Linux. It is built in to the price.  For Linux to penetrate,
> someone needs to offer a $400 laptop preconfigured with Linux.

I know a Linux latpop (eSys) which goes for about 230 British pounds. The
specifications are not excellent, but it is bound to improve when
mass-production is reached.

> This could become the standard student machine, and hence later the
> standard office machine. That is how IBM got its mainframes in so many
> businesses by almost giving them away to universities.

This will not last for long, in my opinion. The cost of the O/S (if any)
assumes the person will use it. To put this different, if Dell prebundle
plenty of trial version programs that are yet to be erased, companies will
no longer pay Dell to include those programs. This can actually be gauged
because many of these programs are spyware-like.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 10:50am  up 50 days 16:04,  12 users,  load average: 2.84, 2.87, 2.89