Re: [News] Australian Anti-DRM Campaign

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Friday 16 June 2006 18:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:53:51 +0100
> <4441754.kTn3maUjPD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> http://iownmymusic.org/
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Tell the Government that you want control of your music, now and in
>> | the future. Linux Australia  has made this easy by preparing a petition
>> | (PDF, 470kb) that you can download. By getting as many signatures on the
>> | petition as you can, and posting it to the address below you'll be
>> | helping ensure that consumers have rights over digital content.
>> `----
>>
>> DRM might take off initially, but activists will soon take it down, as
>> soon as customers become victims and protest.
>
> Erm, I thought under DRM customers automatically *were*
> victims...or at least treated as though they were criminal
> conspirators. :-)

 __^__                                          __^__
( ___ )----------------------------------------( ___ )
 | / | Not  everybody  thinks  that  way.  Most | \ |
 | / | customers  are  not even aware that  the | \ |
 | / | media  purchased is 'DRM-enabled'. Those | \ |
 | / | who   are   told  this   (could   become | \ |
 | / | mandatory  in the UK) will possibly need | \ |
 | / | further eduction to fully understand the | \ |
 | / | consequences. This is often described as | \ |
 | / | access  control/restrictions rather than | \ |
 | / | en/decryption.    The   campaigns    are | \ |
 | / | intended   to   raise  awareness   among | \ |
 | / | politicians  (legislators in France  and | \ |
 | / | Scandinavia,  for  example), as well  as | \ |
 | / | people.                                  | \ |

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
  6:25am  up 50 days 11:39,  12 users,  load average: 1.37, 1.02, 1.03